Re: 2533 turn secondary

Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx > > Hi Mike, > > It all depends on what your goal is. >If, like most builders, your aim is big sparks >and a light show, then the extra 900 or so >windings will not help much. Remember, to >have oscillation at all, you must have >R < 2*SQRT(L/C) and the current flow >decays as exp(-Rt/2L).i.e. Less cycles to > build streamers. > On the other hand, if you are the one >in 10,000 people that might want to USE >the HV output of you TC for powering >something else, then that is a different and >mostly unexplored story. > > Hope this helps, > > Matt D. >

Well, I think I'm convinced to use larger
wire and drop back to about 1500 turns.

But some further questions;

Per your formula   {R < 2*SQRT(L/C)}
Off the top of my head wouldn't
2*SQRT(LC) go up faster than R losses?
Making a larger inductance coil ring longer.

Assuming the top of my head is wrong ;-) would a 2500 turn (higher voltage coil) work better feeding into a magnifier coil? Mike