Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'll reply to my own reply.

Maybe what I'm missing is: if I increase the area to prevent saturation, the inductance goes back up so maybe this is self defeating. I think it is time to play with some real numbers with gapless toroids and see what the inductance and saturatiion levels are.

Gerry R

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wonder if the real issue is physical size between the two designs. If I take a gapped ballast and remove the gap, the inductance goes up. I will need to reduce the number of turns to get back to the original inductance. This will increase the volts per turn that will push the ballast closer to saturation unless I increase the cross sectional area.