Re: spray enamel vs shellack

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> All,
> Several of you have responded to Steven's question but no one has answered
> it. He asked if spray enamel is suitable for covering a coil. The answers
> you gave only addressed his mention of shellac and the superiority of
> polyurethane over shellac.
>
> I have the same question as Steven. Is enamel paint suitable for covering
> the wiring of a secondary coil?? Enamel cost less than 1/2 that of
> polyurethane. I know it isn't much but when you are on an extremely tight
> budget, as many of us are, every penny counts and if you are like me, you
> want to expend what funds you have in the most economical way. This way, we
> can concentrate spending on what counts the most. Thanks.
> Paul
> Think Positive

	I don't know about pigmented spray enamel, but good old fashioned clear
Krylon will certainly work to hold the turns in place.  It would be hard
to built up a thick coating to make the coil more durable if you beat it
around, but remember that you don't really need to do anything!  By the
way, shellac isn't particularly cheap any more, at least around here.
Costs almost as much as urethane varnish in a can.

Ed