new coiler's first coil

Original poster: "keith" <keith.cc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello everyone,
I am new to this list and to coiling in general. I?ve just finished building my first rather small conventional coil. I got lucky and it worked well the first time I turned it on, although I am not sure if it is perfectly in tune. I?ve made a website with pictures/detailed specifications etc ? <http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla>http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla. My primary question is whether or not, judging by streamer length, the coil looks like its in tune ? although I?ve seen lots of pictures of other people?s coils in operation on the internet, I just don?t have the experience to know if the output I?m getting (14-15 inch streamers at 140v input) is the best I can get given the size of my power supply (9kv 30ma nst). I?ve also found that the safety gaps are firing quite a bit, sometimes continuously for a few seconds, and especially if I widen the main gap ? is this normal? I know the safety gaps are wide enough so that they would not normally fire, but I?m not sure if it?s normal for them to be firing as much as they are. Any other general suggestions are of course welcome. I do know there are a couple of flaws ? my main gap could be better, the connection between my secondary and ground is a bit sketchy, and my terry filter, especially the resistors, are probably a bit overkill given my modest power supply. Thanks in advance for suggestions/comments etc ? I?m still very new to all of this ? I only started researching tesla coils/teaching myself about electricity about three months ago. By the way, I?m an eighteen year old high school senior (soon to be college freshman!) living in Massachusetts.

Keith C