From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:33 PM
Subject: new coiler's first coil

Original poster: "keith" <<mailto:keith.cc@xxxxxxxxxxx>keith.cc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello everyone,
I am new to this list and to coiling in general. I've just finished
building my first rather small conventional coil. I got lucky and it worked
well the first time I turned it on, although I am not sure if it is
perfectly in tune. I've made a website with pictures/detailed
specifications etc -
<<http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla>http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla>http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla>http://webpages.charter.net/keithcc/tesla.

My primary question is whether or not, judging by streamer length, the coil
looks like its in tune - although I've seen lots of pictures of other
people's coils in operation on the internet, I just don't have the
experience to know if the output I'm getting (14-15 inch streamers at 140v
input) is the best I can get given the size of my power supply (9kv 30ma
nst). I've also found that the safety gaps are firing quite a bit,
sometimes continuously for a few seconds, and especially if I widen the
main gap - is this normal? I know the safety gaps are wide enough so that
they would not normally fire, but I'm not sure if it's normal for them to
be firing as much as they are. Any other general suggestions are of course
welcome. I do know there are a couple of flaws - my main gap could be
better, the connection between my secondary and ground is a bit sketchy,
and my terry filter, especially the resistors, are probably a bit overkill
given my modest power supply. Thanks in advance for suggestions/comments
etc - I'm still very new to all of this - I only started researching tesla
coils/teaching myself about electricity about three months ago. By the way,
I'm an eighteen year old high school senior (soon to be college freshman!)
living in Massachusetts.

Keith C