Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 7:25 PM Subject: Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

> Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Gerry, > When I was in Home Depot the other day looking for polyurethane, I noticed > a bin full of all thread that also had many sizes of unthreaded steel rod > as well. While going through some of the rods it came to me that I could > fill a piece of PVC with a bunch of these rods to use as a core for an > inductor, similar to a laminated core. I think I would probably need to > insulate the rods from each other with varnish or polyurethane, right?

Or plastic wrap.  Painting a bunch of rods is tough to do without leaving at
least one spot that is bare.

> Without having to worry about how much space is available, like with an
E/I
> core, the selection of wire gauge should be simpler and you could just
keep
> adding layers of wire until you get the inductance required. The thing I
> stupidly didn't do was write down the prices of the steel rod. I'm also
> quite sure that there is a less expensive place to obtain steel rod.

What about baling wire? Soft iron wire, cut it into lengths, insulate,
stack.

Steel is not a particularly low loss core material (in fact, it's pretty
high loss).

In > fact, it just came to me that back when I had a TIG welder, I bought 1/8" > uncoated steel rod from the welding supply where I bought Argon. If I > remember correctly, this steel rod is available in many different types of > steel from brass to soft low carbon steel to several different types of > stainless steel. > Later. > Paul > Think Positive