RE: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul:

I will probably elicit howls from the experts, but here goes:

Ve, Ae, & Le are the Volume, Cross-Sectional Area, and Magnetic Path
Length respectively for a toroid equivelent to a core.  They are the
properties of that core.  They normally must be obtained from the mfg
specs of the core.

For salvaged cores, I measure the total volume of the core(Ve) and the
cross-sectional area(Ae).  I then compute Le = Ve/Ae.  I work in mm,
mm^2, mm^3 because my spreadsheets sre set up to work in those units.

Note that with an E-core Ae = the area of the center leg.  The outer
legs should be 1/2 the area of the center leg.

C is the core factor. I take C = Le/Ae.  This is an approximation that I
leavce for future discussion.

AL is the inductance factor for the core. Units typically
NanoHenries(nH).  It is the inductance of one turn on an ungapped core
of that geometry and that material.

L = AL * N^2  N=# turns

When salvaging cores I measure L(ungapped) with a known # of turns and
work backwards to get AL.  Normally, AL is provided in the technical
specs for the core.

B(magnetic Flux Density) can be computed in Tesla or milliTesla or Gauss
for that matter.  The core material has a peak limit and saturation
limit for B.  For example my ferrite material that has been discussed
has a Bpk = 320 mT & Bsat = 500 mT.  I think we learned the other day
that the steel in our MOT's is approximately Bpk = 1.6 Tesla and Bsat =
1.9 Tesla.

H is the magnetic field strength, typically expressed in amps/meter.

The permeability is then U = B/H (I am confused here on units, but they
I think they must be H/M)

The realtive permeability is Ur = U/Uo, Ur is unitless
Uo is the magnetic constant 4*3.14159*10^-7 H/M.

Ui is the initial permeability.  I think it would be the permeability of
an ungapped core.  It is a specified in the core technical
documentation, but I am having a hard time computing it from a salvaged
core.

Ue is the effective permeability.
Both Ui and Ue are unitless(They are relative to Uo).

Ue = Ui/(1+G*Ui/Le) where G = the total gap(2Xspacer)

Note Syd's post of May 6.  He uses the same formula but puts Ur in place
of Ui.  I think the semantics are different.

I am hoping to pursue discussion of the Ux's with the experts and
clarify which Ux is which.

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 5:51 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark,
Please excuse my ignorance. Will you please define the following: Ve &
Ae, Le & C (capacitance?), AL, 10555 nH (nano henries?), mT
(miliTesla's?), and finally, Ui, Ue, and Ur. I want to make sure I'm on
the same page with you. I really appreciate what
you are doing and your sharing it with me. You have been way more than
helpful. Regards.
Paul
Think Positive