Solid State VTTC work

Original poster: Sundog <sundog@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

Please forward this to the List and post links to the photos so everybody can see :) Many thanks!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Image00005.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Image00010.jpg

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Image00013.jpg

Hi All,

I worked on the modulator section of the solid state Vacuum Tube Tesla Coil today. Got the half bridge debugged (blew up a DMM in the process), and here's the output from it (properly running, but not quite enough driving power to the FET's, note the slow rise/fall times. Need to work on that.

Nothing special, and the only part not shown are the 3 8.2k, 25W resistors. The resistive divider goes between the negative leg and joint between the FET's. 8.2k to the negative rail, 4.4k to the midpoint of the half bridge. Bridge is voltage doubled 120v mains, and the modulator is putting out clean -166 to +60v swing.
The FET's barely heat above ambient (about 85F in the garage) after 10 minutes. Once I refine the controller electronics, it'll be time to make sparks (this time they won't come from the DMM)!

Questions?  Comments?

Shad H.