From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Very Confused On Grounding
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:47:53 -0600

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's a modified sine wave, oh well. I will just do what I said and not use mains ground at all and have the NST case floating. I think that will be the safest way for my houses equipment. Thanks

Probably a bad idea to have the case floating or anything else for that matter.

1. Floating items have tendency to build up a charge via leakage paths and corona pickup.
If the voltage builds too high it can break down the insulations permanently.

2. If for some reason high voltage does get to the case it may jump to the mains input and permanently damage the insulation as in 1.

3. RF coupled from the secondary will probably produce a much higher voltage on the case than if the case is grounded.
The higher case RF voltage will couple more voltage to the mains input.

I agree with others that have stated "connect it to RF ground" for minimum RF back to the mains.

Robert (R. A.) Jones