Re: ScanTesla program -> Optimization

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Terry, all,
Thanks a lot for your nice paper. It is very good to include in a
nutshell all what this ScanTesla stuff is about.
Now even I can figure it out :)
 > For a model of a Tesla coil, I think this is the "best" there
 > is now (first
 > figure):
 >
 > http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTesla.pdf

Some comments: I started to write a simulator in C. Not difficult, but I will not finish it in the next weeks because I will be away, in a conference. It's not necessary to change the model of the transformer. Work with reciprocal inductances (invert the inductance matrix) and the formulation of state equations or nodal equations becomes simple. The T model just complicates the simulation. A capacitor-discharge Tesla coil can be simulated with a step function instead of the square-wave input. A square wave with zero frequency.

A. Genetic algorithm.
Basically you start from a random population of solutions (i.e.
parameters sets), calculate the yield for each of them. Then some of
them will pass away (worse yield), some will mutate (randomly) and some
will cross-combine with each other.
The algorithm is quite easy to implement, works and it's also intuitive.

I use something like this in my Tesla coil and Magnifier optimizers.
What would be the objective? Maximum peak power at the output resistance? Maximum total energy there? Maximum efficiency? Maximum output voltage?

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz