Re: transmission lines from transformer /was: First Light HELP

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Using RG-8 cable with a 10 kVA pig it was "safety gapping" over the entire HV bushing surface---- definitely way above 14.4 kV.

Dr. Resonance

I originally used the ground sheaths in the RG213 and had them connected to the case of the pole transformer. I use three grounds with this coil. The AC line ground goes only to the case of the variac. A separate ground rod is used for the case of the transformer and center post of the safety gap. A separate RF ground system is used for the secondary and strike rail.

I was not aware of any problems when using the grounded shield in the RG213 but later encountered a 60 hz primary resonance problem and stripped the ground sheath out of those cables when searching for the problem. That was not it by the way.

Ed Sonderman

In a message dated 5/18/05 4:01:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ed, Drew,

> Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx > > Drew, > > Not sure about the HV cables hissing. Do you have them laying on > the > cement? What kind of wire are you using? How close together are > they? I > use RG213 with the outer jacket and ground sheath removed and the > cables > are sitting on 2 x 4s on the cement.

Not sure that this is recomended but I use x-ray HV cables
with the grounding sheaths intact and gronded at the mains
ground at the pole transformer. They certainly don't hiss
in this setup although this may be a NO-NO from an RF kick
back stand-point?? I've heard that this type of setup also
causes a "Blumline effect" which causes voltage levels to
reach much higher than the output voltage of the transformer
itself, but I have not had any pole pig transformers to even
hiccup from running like this. One reason I do it this way
is to stop the hissing and to make it safer if the lines are
touched while energized. I know the electrical utility com-
panies must use this method on all of their underground power
lines. Any observation/comments from others on this matter
are welcome....

David Rieben