Re: Physics

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

An excellent source for this sort of thing is "The Feynmann Lectures", which
are essentially transcriptions of  physics lectures given by Richard
Feynmann at CalTech.  They get quite detailed and are at an advanced level
in some case, but the exposition is very clear, and taken in small chunks,
it's quite readable. There's three paperbound volumes available, and I've
seen them at Barnes and Noble and at Borders, so you can see them before you
buy.

At a less math intensive level, you might look for one of the "Descriptive
College Physics" textbooks (aka "Physics for Blondes").  My mother (the
Sociology major) had one at Berkeley by Sears which I found quite handy as a
youth.  All the concepts get covered without any serious math. Check out a
local college catalog for a Physics class aimed at Liberal Arts majors (Poli
Sci, English), and see what the textbook is. At UCLA, back in the 70s, the
class was "Physics 10".  I don't recall the textbook, but it covered all the
useful basics of mechanics and E&M without going to lots of proof and
derivation.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 6:23 PM Subject: Physics