Re: "Background Impedance of Universe"

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:16 AM Subject: Re: "Background Impedance of Universe"

> Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Jim, > Someone made a comment about this being dull. I find your explanation > interesting, intriguing, and very well explained. I really like your usage > of analogy to make something complex easy to, as you put so well, "get your > mind around!" Do you teach? Maybe you missed your calling. :-)

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't teach (at least as a profession), but I come from a family of
pedagogues, and these days at work, I think I spend more time explaining how
radios and communications systems work in the context of other spacecraft
systems.

The stuff about space cloth and the nifty relationship for characteristic
impedance of coaxial lines came from John Kraus, who wrote one of the better
antenna textbooks around ("Antennas", now in 3rd ed), especially for people
who don't aspire to be electromagneticians, but just want to know how
antennas work and be able to use and design them. The electromagneticians
would probably be happier with Balanis's text, which is just chock full of
derivations from first principles.