Re: transmission lines from transformer /was: First Light HELP

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

No, it was some type of resonance caused the the additional capacitance of the cable. There was no surface tracking at 60 Hz, but many hot capacitive spiderweb sparks when the cable was used.

The potential rise phenomonea is described in Power Electronics.

Dr. Resonance

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 11:51 20/05/05 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Using RG-8 cable with a 10 kVA pig it was "safety gapping" over the
> >entire HV bushing surface---- definitely way above 14.4 kV.
>
> I don't see how any ringing or transmission line effect can ever
> produce more than twice the transformer's peak output voltage. Must be
> something weird going on!
>
> Steve Conner

Agreed. Speaking for myself I previously stated that I have observed
voltages far higher than the o/c output voltage of the transformer
but never mentioned a specific figure and certainly never claimed
more than 2x o/c or 2x o/c for that matter. As far as the bushing
observation goes (not mine) there may have been surface tracking at
work (possibly? perhaps??).

Malcolm