Re: Seibt: Visualizing Standing Waves on a Resonator by Corona

Original poster: "Binny" <binny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Oky I know it has been said before but it is worth repeating this expirement is utterly fascinating.There is one thing that kind of bothers me though about the result is that the corona wires are very small and could vibrate within the electromagnetic field in such a way so as to resonate mechanically like a guitar string.I think it is possible that this could explain the standing wavelike phenomena that you see.I would like to see the same experiment done with a dampened corona wire to exclude that possibility and or a heavy gauge corona wire well supported so as to eliminate the possibility of any mechanical vibration.
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:55 AM
Subject: Seibt: Visualizing Standing Waves on a Resonator by Corona

Original poster: Kurt Schraner <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

while the Seibt-Experiment is not spectacular, in the sense of making
"big bangs or sparks", it's quite rewarding, to show the behavior of a
resonator, by _very basic means_ of provoking corona discharges, along a
winded wire, to speak: a very thin and long coil plus a corona wire
along it (H/D=38). If I'm not mistaken, you won't find a lot about googling the "Seibt coil", except perhaps at Antonio de Queiroz site:

http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/mk95939.jpg

I made my own Seibt-Coil, winding the 4187 turns for one coil, with my friend Andi within one hour, (including 50% beer pause, having a good time ;-)). We made 2 of the coils, to be seen at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Dscn1740k.jpg

The feeding circuit was in very traditional style 19th century mode, first following the maggie-configuratin of Antonio's display, with a 158-turn secondary. However, in practice it was discovered, simple autotransformer+galvanic coupling proved more effective, as seen in the schematic diagram at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Seibt_schema_3.gif

...which I have realized as:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Dscn1760c.jpg

In the picture, the spark gap, set fairly wide at about 20mm, is seen firing. This gap needs to be covered, and the room totally darkened, in order to observe the faint corona phenomena along the Seibt-coil. But the human eye can easily adapt, and see it nicely. Unfortunately I've not yet a convincing picture of the coil in operation, due to using a digital camera, which is not allowing manually setting the needed long exposure times. Anyway, here is, what I've currently available:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Dscn1750b.jpg

The ring-shaped figure at left is corona at one of the Leyden-jars. You may be able to distinguish the 5 corona zones along the coil at right. This is to be interpreted as 2 full waves along the coil (= 8 quarter waves), as made plausible in this diagram:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Stehwelle5b.jpg

The primary resonance had to be tuned to ~2.3MHz, which corresponds nicely to 8 times the measured 287kHz quarter wave base frequency of the Seibt-coil. It is also possible to generate 7 glowing zones on the coil, by tuning the primary to ~3.5MHz, corresponding to 3 full waves along it. Well, I hope bringing better corona pics, when having finished and developped the film on my conventional camera, which allows manually set long exposures...

Best regards,
               Kurt Schraner