Re: Ozone

>      Which would combine with water vapor to form acids; seems much

> more probable than rusting due to any ozone present.  I've run an 4
> watt "ozone" lamp with a fan in a closet for a number of years.  In
> spite of the distinct odor of ozone (as distinct from oxides of
> nitrogen) I've never noted any rusting there and the box is held
> together with steel screws.
>
> Ed

I had two small (a watt or so) ozone generators. One was a brush discharge
type and one was a small UV tube type.
Both failed after only about six months of operation. In both cases due to
corrosion. Some components had their leads completely corroded thru. Even
some of the soldered joints perhaps 2mm of solder had corroded so much that
the component leads where loose.
Also the screws of the cases where rusty. I repaired them and coated the
boards. They again failed due to corrosion.
Though the screws where uniformly rusty the board tracks and joints where
not all effected. So perhaps the corrosion was accelerated by flux residues
caused by hand soldering of some components after the board was cleaned.
Interestingly the metal parts of the brush discharge electrodes though caked
with a tar like substance had not corroded.
Note also in one case in the same 1000squre foot room there was a pc that
did not show any signs corrosion so it was not a general corrsion problem.

I had one in the bedroom. Though I did not perform a double blind experiment
I become convinced that it gave me a stuffy and irritated nose and
discontinued it use.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400

Our experience sure is different from fairly similar setups! I wonder if it is because I have a fan which circulates the air fast enough that no ozone accumulates locally? Of course, it may diffuse so fast that there isn't any accumulation. My fan is rigged to pull unexposed air past the electrical components and the UV bulb and the exhausts it directly.

Ed