Re: PFC Question

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/3/2005 7:43:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,

I too believe the PFC's should not be in series but in parallel with
the load.  However, placing then directly across the transformer IS
correct for NST's where the limiting inductance is internal to the
transformer.  But for PIGS, shouldn't the ballast inductor (assuming
primary ballasting) be between the PFC and PIG.  Otherwords, the PFC
connected across the two variac outputs (+Vac and -Vac out), ballast
between one of the variac outputs and a PIG input, and the other PIG
input connected directly to the other variac output.

Gerry R.

Gerry,

Since the line will see the pig and ballast combined as an inductive load, I agree. The pfc caps should go at the output of the variac.

Ed Sonderman