Re: Re: Maxwell]

At 07:58 AM 11/10/2005, Tesla list wrote:

Can you really assume your current pulse is 50 uS long? Wouldn't it depend on the effective quenching time, ie, knowing when the arc strikes as the rotary electrode approaches the stationary electrode (depends on sharpness of edge of electrode and electrode operating temp) and when the spark extinguishes?

No... I was just coming up with some plausible numbers to illustrate why a 1 amp supply can have an RF RMS current substantially higher. I picked 50 uS because I figured it would take 5 cycles of a 100kHz damped sinusoid to ring down, and then made the simplifying assumption that the amplitude is constant during the 5 cycles.

5 cycles?  A round number that seems to be plausible.

In reality, it's different, but probably not by huge amounts, and I didn't want to bother trying to do the exact integral.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: Terry Fritz <terry-cpu4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>