Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Hi Dmitry and others,

I'm not sure that this is a meaningful experiment.. Given a particular power source and a fixed bang size, increasing the bps will increase the power to the coil. At some point the losses will overcome the increased power input or the power source will give no more. Maybe a more meaningful experiment for a given power source is to choose various combinations of bang_energy * BPS that equals the power available and find the combination that gives the best effeciency and results.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  > and why do we need high energies at all? give me at
>  > least one example
>  > when this helped to substantially exceed 1.7sqrt.

> In order to get 1.7*sqrt(p) you need a bang energy big
> enough such that you can deliver p watts at 120bps. As
> long as you operate at 120bps, you get a "Freau
> factor" of about 1.7. If you go below 120bps, you get
> more than 1.7, if you go higher, you get less.

first - as far as i remember Greg Leyh said something like "the
longest streamers with my coil  were achieved at bps around 300".
second - if my memory serves me well, John Freay said, that while
increasing bps from 120 till 240, the streamers length if not
increasing, then at least not decreasing/visibly  decreasing. so the
energy can be decreased minimum in 2 times. and the last - you didn`t
compare the same secondary 120 vs 240 at the same power and _equal_
voltage at the toroid, did you?

> So, using a low energy at a high repetition rate is
> not as efficient as a high energy at a low rep rate.

well - just everything has its limits - when decreasing the bps lower
than 70, the efficiency also falls visibly - even at enormous energy.

> My 400bps coils get about 1.3 to 1.4.

how about "other" Steve?
"Steve from other side" - halloo %-)

p.s.

as for the "freau number" - reading the archives i found the
absolutely champion of all times - of  course it`s Malcolm Watts:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1996/may/msg00090.html

"The coil I fire at work has been putting out 4+ footers with a PRF of
100 (1/mains half cycle) on just 1.25 Joules per pulse (about a third
of what I had previously thought)."

4.29+
yeah, you don`t need any mega-joules - you just have to be a
mega-coiler :-D
so you guys all suck again :-)))

-----
The solution to no primary hits lay in getting rid of the primary!
This is no joke either.
20-06-96 (c) Richard Hull, TCBOR