Re: PFC Question

Hi Dmitry,

I think you are missing my point. The idea is not to characterized the variac, but to test the statement that the leakage inductance of the variac causes the phase of the charging waveform to change as the voltage output of the variac is brought up. It is fairly commonly understood that the timing of the SRSG needs to be readjusted at higher variac output to compensate for the phase shift occuring during the initial turn on process. It has been assumed in the past (even by me) that the cause for the phase shift is the leakage inductance of the variac. Now here is a chance to verify or demythify this belief. True, what ever phase shift the leakage inductance causes will be dependent on the load. So lets give the variac a load representative of the context of the original statement. Lets measure the phase shift of the variac, and the phase shift of the NST and see how the two change as power is brought up using a NST system with a SRSG and a Cp of 2.8*Cres (for instance). Then we will know :o))

Gerry R

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Bad idea????  Not if leakage inductance is insignificant as was
> suggested.

this idea is bad independently from the leakage inductance value,
coz by such way we obtain  the answer only in a specific situation -
at the specific conditions. but i`m offering to get something  more
common, because the leakage inductance is the property of the given
variac and by  knowing this value we can calculate the phase shift for
_any_ arbitrary load in any arbitrary situation.
and, by the way - i`ve no nst and i`m indifferent to how the variac
influence it - i`ll never use nst in my psu :-D
but variacs - always ;-)