Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

Further to my note of yesterday:

On 13 Nov 2005, at 6:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 11 Nov 2005, at 21:06, Tesla list wrote:
>
>  > Original poster: "Gerry  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
>  > Opps, I slipped a decimal point.   48 inchs with 125 watts = Freau
>  > factor of 4.29.  This is remarkable and deserves recognition and
>  query > into whats the secret is.  (no wonder I was confused). > >
>  Gerry R.
>
> I have to say right here that being too good to be true means that it
> would have been. First off, the breakrate was *assumed* to be be
> 2Fmains. Scoping the coil some years later revealed that it was
> actually going as high as 4Fmains at times. While the gap religiously
> fired at 5kV at low rep using a DC supply I would not like to
> guarantee that it fired at that voltage under running conditions. Some
> recent runs were done with the gap set to fire at between 7 and 8kV
> and it put out about 5'. Measurements several years ago showed it was
> approaching the 1.7 factor. I think that old post of mine should be
> consigned to the scrapheap of history. I had long forgotten it and I
> think everyone else should too.
>
> Malcolm

I realized after sending the message above that Dmitry's attempt to
equate E x BPS with the 1.7 factor was flawed - that factor applies
to *wallplug draw* and I can tell the list with hand on heart that
the coil was drawing somewhere around 1100W measured from the
wallplug. I know for a fact that the wallplug draw did not accurately
reflect the primary power - far from it. The transformer became hot
very quickly. Sorry for the confusion.

Malcolm