Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

have you tried to change the toroid to get the same voltage as it was
at the 120 bps?

Have you seen this:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/experiment/

The second table of results- headed "DC Link voltage kept constant"- will have roughly constant toroid voltage too. However, the voltage may have sagged a bit at the higher breakrates due to there being more ionisation around which loads the coil more heavily. I can't think of any other reason the bang energy would fall while the DC link voltage was kept constant.

These results are from a "Man's Best Friend" but I think they may be relevant to spark-gap coils too. The conclusion is that lower breakrates are much more efficient. But I agree that they don't produce the most "great" looking sparks.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com