RE: New to this

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Stephen:

The transformers you have are definitely on the small side of what's
typically recommended, both voltage and current-wise.  Not long ago the
prevailing wisdom was that the voltage had to be at least 5-6kV, but
many (including myself) have since built successful coils using a
4kV/20mA neon sign transformer.  My mini coil may be seen at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm.  I suspect that 1650V may be
too low to get consistent operation from a spark gap, but I've not
personally tried with anything less than my 4kV unit.

Just to be sure, your xfmrs are in fact core-and-coil AC transformers,
not solid-state high frequency inverters, right?  I would recommend
using four of your xfmrs in a series-parallel configuration, with the
common HV lead connected to case-ground.  Have fun getting the phasing
correct!  This will give you a 3.3kV/20mA power supply, probably good
for at least 6".

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA