Re: Magnifying Tesla Coils

Hi Sebbie,

Sometimes coilers are poking around websites for maggy's. I built what I called a "hybrid magnifier" which is a 3 coil system, but in my configuration, all 3 coils are proximity coupled to one another. I was just proving a hypothesis that a system of this nature configuration could be built with Javatc (which it did nicely). However, should you actually see that at my website (classictesla.com), please note that this is not a classic magnifier and the rules are different. If your attempting to build a classic magnifier then you should check out Antonio's design programs.

I wanted to mention this just in the event you saw the video's and because I didn't do a good job of explaining the difference between my hybrid maggy and a standard maggy. Sometimes coilers see the hybrid maggy video's and wonder why it doesn't follow standard maggy theory. There have been a few offline emails which I realized at that point that I may have caused a confusion factor (which I seem to have a gift for). ;-)

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Qndre Qndre" <qndre_encrypt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Sebbie,

a "magnifier" is a resonant transformer which is built the same way as Nikolai Tesla did as he tried to distribute electrical power using his "Wardenclyffe" transmitter. It consists of a driver circuit and a resonator circuit connected using a transmission line. The driver circuit looks the same way as a pulsed tesla coil does: A capacitor with a high capacitance is charged to a high voltage until a spark gap brakes down and connects it to a coil with low inductance. This circuit then oscillates causing a "secondary circuit" which consists of a coil with a big inductance and a very small capacitance to go into resonant rise resulting in a high voltage output at a high frequency just like a normal tesla coil.

To get a magnifier, you have to chose a topload with a very high breakdown voltage for your secondary so you have no streamers going into the air because they only represent energy loss in this place. The secondary is not the place where the discharges will take place. You connect a wire to the topload of this coil. The other end of the wire is connected to a tertiary coil called the "extra coil". It forms the second big part of a magnifier, the resonator, while the classic tesla coil (which won't emit streamers because of the big topload) acts only as a driver for the resonator. The other end of the tertiary (the one not connected to the topload of the secondary) has a topload placed on it which has a breakdown voltage causing streamers into the air.

The calculation and tuning of a magnifier will be much more complicated compared to the calculation of a conventional tesla coil because you will have to have three coils and several capacitances all operating on the same resonant frequency in order to get the best possible output.

I hope this will help you a bit.

Regards, Q.

PS: This is a website about the calculation and simulation of such a circuit. It seems to be very complicated: http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html