Re: LTR vs. STR for pigs was Re: PFC Question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 17 Nov 2005, at 17:05, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  >  >  > I realized after sending the message above that Dmitry's
>  attempt to >  >  > equate E x BPS with the 1.7 factor was flawed -
>  that factor applies >  >  > to *wallplug draw* >  > >  > you wanna
>  say, that for example, in my future coil these values would >  >
>  differ in several times? :-)))  it`s just impossible. Zprimary of my
>  >  > coil - about 25 Ohm, Rsg is going to be not more than 1 Ohm,
>  full >  > transfer - 3 cycles, then if we`ll assume that _each_ cycle
>  i lose 4% >  > (it`s far away from that really), then during the
>  transfer time i`ll >  > lose 12% maximum. so as i said - W ~ E x BPS.
>
>  > You may end up being as surprised as I was when you actually try
>  it.
>
> stop - my inattention - what`s the connection between the tank circuit
> losses and the (E x BPS)? none at all - we compare the consumpted
> energy from the mains and the energy in the cap, not in the toroid!
> the difference between W and (E x BPS) is determined only by the
> losses in the transfomer/ballast - it easily can be less than 10% for
> example, so - i`m right even more.

Richard Quick might have disapproved of your armchair methods ;)
Again, wait until you try it. Bear in mind that 50Hz iron does not
perform well with step functions from the gap being presented to it.
And high voltage current limited transformers have rather a lot of
secondary resistance. I'm awaiting your measured results with
interest.

Malcolm