Re: primary angle

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Sebastiann,
Javatc is using is Paul Nicholsons' Geotc which is a program written in javascript for use with html. Geotc is computing the mutual inductance of the two coils then simply calcs coupling by k=M/sqrt(L1L2). The mutual inductance is where there is some complexity. Paul inserted tables from Frederick W. Grovers' "Inductance Calculations", 1946. My copy is a 1973 reprint by Dover which I am currently going through. The tables used are table 13, 14, and 15 where 14 and 15 are auxiliary tables for circles very close or very far apart. These tables include factors for Grover's k' squared value. As stated in the book "the mutual inductance is expressed in closed form in terms of complete elliptic integrals". The circular filaments have radii of the two coils as well as the distance apart. Paul has programed this portion into Geotc which does all the crunching. All I do is "let it crunch" and then write the output to the html form.
I'll shoot you the portion that deals with mutual inductance but highly recommend reading the book to get a complete understanding. I bought my copy at Amazon.com, $35.

The code in my INCA program does the exact calculation with elliptic integrals, and implements also several more or less exact formulas for comparison (http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs). It does not, however, take into account the variation of the current along the secondary of a Tesla transformer, that results in an effective coupling somewhat smaller than the ideal. It's very difficult to determine the exact effect, specially considering that everything is transient, so I kept only the exact calculation assuming no distributed capacitance to charge.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz