RE: PFC and PVC caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

I think WinTesla does a fair job of calculating a PFC value.  I though
it had been on Terry's web site, but I can't seem to see it?

http://hot-streamer.com/rscopper/dload5.html

A PFC must be a capacitor with a continuous AC voltage rating.  Motor
RUN capacitors are commonly used, not to be confused with motor START
caps, which are not suitable, and will smoke if you try them.  Aside
from eBay, the best source for run caps is USA manufacturing -
http://www.usamfg.net.  The voltage rating does not need to be any
higher than your mains voltage.

PVC appears to be a relatively low-loss dielectric, but may have
mechanical (low melting point?) issues.  And the volumetric efficiency
of using PVC pipe is poor.  As soooooooo many others have said - just
build an MMC.

Gary Lau
MA, USA