Re: Safety gap issues

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

I cannot help but chuckle... the new guy calling Gerry (one of our
best) "wrong".  Your 12kV transformer could indeed output 22.5kV (ya
know that thing called resonance that occurs with series LC circuits?
Better read up on that), but I'm willing to suspect that your gap is
firing at less than 22.5kV (again, depends on geometry... this is one
fact you seem to acknowledge and ignore at the same time?).  Since you
arent using very large spheres as the spark gaps, the 30kv/cm figure
will not apply, because its more likely that your E-field is strongly
non-uniform, allowing premature breakdown.  But as many have
commented, a ruler is no method for measuring voltage!

So, spend a few bucks and buy/build a HV resistive divider and just
MEASURE the voltage (not with tank cap hooked up, but just NST and
spark gap) with a volt meter, preferable one with a 10Meg input
impedance.  If you need advice as to how to make a divider, just ask.
I or many of the other list members have built their own and would be
able to offer up exact parts used.

And JT, please calm down a bit before you embarrass yourself even more
;-).  You seem to  try to call other's bluff before you get the facts
straight, I personally find that insulting.  You are working with
people who have been doing this for years and years, dont forget that.

>From your other post:

"I too have wondered if my calculatioons are way off, but half of my
calculated voltage? Oh god that sucks- a mere 195KV output. Hardly a
tesla coil at all."

Perhaps you are accustomed to hearing those claims of millions of
volts from sparks a few feet in length?  That was before people gained
a true understanding of the physics going on in a tesla coil, those
people were just plain wrong.  Only a rare few tesla coils actually
exceed 1MV output.  Even DC.Cox's big bruiser was said to be measured
at 850kV if i remember, it makes 25 foot sparks:

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/ch2005/pages/IMG_comp.html

Just for reference, that coil is 16-18 feet tall i believe.

Steve Ward