Re: SIZE of RF chokes?

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

but, my variac outputs, or will only take, 4 amps of current, at 120VAC. So wont hiring out voltage to 140 VAC, output only 3.33 amps? The power throughout will still be exactly equal

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SIZE of RF chokes?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:00:11 -0700

Hi Gary,

I agree, if you leave your safety gap setting based on 120Vac then no more voltage (I take full advantage of 140Vac and set the safety gap based on 140V - others may not). 140Vac may run the NST closer to saturation and thus the current could be higher but not the voltage if the safety gap is set at 120Vac. I have never heard of an NST failure due to current only voltage.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Although intuition suggests that running an NST at 140VAC is more
stressful than at 120VAC, I can't think of an actual reason why.

I say crank it to 140V and enjoy!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA