From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Safety gap issues
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:59:57 -0700

JT, you're not listening. I said you can ONLY use 30KV/cm and a meter stick to calculate breakdown if it is a UNIFORM FIELD. This is rarely the case unless you have two parallel plates where the plate separation is small compared to the size of the plate. The 30KV/cm is a field strength the the air molicule experiences. This field strength may be present only in a very localized volume.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

You said:
"The breakdown for air is approximately 30KV per cm. This is a local field strength and if the field is uniform (constant) then you can measure the distance to find the total breakdown. The 25KV per inch you found probably assumes a geometry and applies to a short range of distances. "

Well holy crap, that throws ALL my measurements with high voltage off a lot. My sparkgap for example is set at 7.5 to 8 mm. That means my sparkgap is set at 22.5kV? NO WAY; MY TRANSFORMER OUTPUTS 12KV ONLY. SO, IF IT WERE SET AT 22.5 KV, IT WOULDNT FIRE WORTH CRAP.

THIS MEANS THE FORMULA:  1cm=30KV   cannot be correct

Thanks a ton for the help, but I THINK you're wrong buddy