From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Safety gap issues
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:03:19 -0700

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 27 Nov 2005, at 9:53, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> WOW, NICE. According to what you just said, my coil produces an
> absolute maximum of 533KV (if  my toroid were perfectly smooth) Half a
> million volts seems too much for a mere 14" discharge average. But, if
> you say half a million, i'll go with that!  :P

The maximum theoretical output voltage of any coil can be calculated
by:

Vo = Vgap x SQRT(Cp/Cs)  where Cp is the primary capacitor and Cs is
the total capacitance of the secondary system. Cs is itself an
approximation but close enough. This value of Vo *assumes* the system
to be lossless which it isn't. A reasonable estimate would be the Vo
calculated above multiplied by a factor of 0.7 to 0.8 for the average
disruptive coil.

One of my coils gives a 12" (maybe a tad more) connected discharge in
single shot mode with a theoretical lossless output voltage of 340kV
(in reality probably about 300kV).

Malcolm