Re: New MMC has MASSIVE issues

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Did you say mylar? That alone is probably the root of all your problems. Mylar is very lossy at tesla frequencies. Loss =heat=weakened voltage rating of your caps (to the point of melting and the cap fails shorted or blows up like a firecracker if enough energy is involved). The reason the 36kV one failed even faster is more mylar=more heat. As a general rule of thumb, PP film/foil caps (aka CD942c's) are the only mmc's that will survive for any length of time (or rf ceramic doorknobs which are usually more expensive).

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:34 AM
Subject: New MMC has MASSIVE issues

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, remember me saying i am creating a new MMC, rated double my previous cap?

I did that!, and it is closer to matching my NST also.

BUT HERES THE ISSUE:
*If I look carefully I can see dielectric breakdown on 2 of 12 capacitors, while in use
*The Mylar heats up fast
*My MMC randomly sparks from one capacitor to another. Sometimes it wont do this at all.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE! when I had an 18KV rated MMC, and it gradually broke down. But when i inserted my new MMC, rated 36KV, the MMC began to degrade faster than my old one.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!!!?

Wow, i just want a working MMC.

Any solid ideas as to why this is happening, terry? It really is very dissappointing.