Re: Recent s.s.t.c. work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

Dmitry (& all)-

You're right about conserving the motivation; I'm going to be loafing for a while--and perhaps I'll even fool around with Bela while I'm loafing. And thanks for the mention of that; with a bit of looking via Google I found & downloaded it. I notice from the manual that it will import a dxf file--which is nice since I am used to my ancient old CAD program, which will export to dxf. Presumably, I can draw in the CAD program & then use its dxf file in Bela. We'll see...

The image at the link you give below looks rather nasty: there's apparently lots of field stress right at the poor old secondary. I'll be interested to learn what you find, if anything, that will alleviate that.

I/we may well conclude that, simple & boring thought it may be, the flat primary is the safe & easy way to go. At my age I'm all for safe & easy; so why am I still doing this??

Ken Herrick

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <mailto:dest@xxxxxxxxxxx><dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Ken.

> Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <mailto:kchdlh@xxxxxxx><kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

> As I've mentioned before, I find that at my advanced age I'm losing
> the motivation to continue "making things"--as I have been doing for
> ~70 years.

to save the motivation i advice you to change the line of work for a
while - from the practical to the theoretical one :-)

> Finn Hammer mentioned potential problems with putting the primary
> inside the secondary, as I have done.

you may model this situation in the program "bela" - "finite element
electrostatics solver". i`ve downloaded it recently, approximately
after a hour i learned how to work with it - it`s very simple. the
only problem - its viewer works very slowly on my athlon xp 1600+, i
tried pentium IV 3GHz with dual DDR on 400 MHz - almost the same.
maybe because at the moment i have 541790 nodes and 1083447 elements,
maybe not - Antonio`s "inca" draws the field plot very slowly too,
even with several orders lesser elements number.

but - it`s a funny time-spending, you`ll forget all your current
problems :-)))
the program doesn`t have such thing as "voltage profile", but it`s not
a problem - i`ve defined 220 wires manually with the 500v (as it would
be in my real secondary) step - these are 220 turns of the secondary
in the place i was interested. nothing difficult - a couple albums of
good drum`n`bass music and that`s it :-D

the very first result is the following:

<http://cis.ru/~dest/2.PNG>http://cis.ru/~dest/2.PNG

there`s a small built-in dielectrics base in the program, plus you can
explore the influence of different shields beetween the windings - i`m
only beginning to work with that now.
classical flat primary is too simple and too boring to - isn`t it? ;-)

-----
Happy coiling, unlimited electricity, basic food and requisite sleep.
21-06-1996 (c) Robert W. Stephens