Re: Lifetime of CD942C20P15K is ~75 hours

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,

It is interesting to note that the DRSSTC only puts high voltage
stress on the caps during the actual firing cycle.  Thus, the life in
a DRSSTC would be about 20+++ times longer!

Cheers,

        Terry

Im curious how important frequency is? I mean, there is a reason that the AC rating is always less than the DC rating, but is 100khz more stressful than 60hz to the dielectric? If the difference is minimal, then the DRSSTC caps should indeed last a very long time. My DRSSTCs might run something like 1.5 to 4% duty cycle, thats sure beats 100% duty cycle! But it seems that the very fast voltage reversal would likely do the most damage? The DRSSTC still has the upper hand then, since both TC types have this type of stress, except the SGTC has the 60hz HV as well.

Steve