Re: Somewhat off topic. Neon gas tubes..

Original poster: "Nick Andrews" <nicothefabulous@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Have you seen the small ones WalMart has right now for ten bucks? They are small, about 4" diameter, but the electronics and all are in a screw-in type medium-base bulb, so they could be installed in any light socket. I have yet to disassemble one...

Nick A

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Somewhat off topic. Neon gas tubes..
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 05:24:35 -0600

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wonder if Radio Shack used annealing ovens on "Eye of the Storm" plasma
displays?  If those displays use 1-atmosphere argon/helium/xenon mixture,
then perhaps the outgassing from the glass has little effect since the
outgas volume is tiny when compared to the gas that's in the globe.

Cheap plasma globes never seem to last too long :-( They stop working after a year or two. In the light of this discussion, I bet it's due to outgassing.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/