Re: Funding 2nd request and report

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Chip and all,

OK - I'm donating two 4" x 6" x 0.5" (Style 09) Interior Discharge Lichtenberg Figures. All of the proceeds will be donated to Chip Atkinson to upgrade the computing facilities that support the Pupman Tesla Coil Mailing List. The auction is planned to last for one week. The two highest by 11:59 PM on Thursday, October 13th will receive these specimens.

A Lichtenberg Figure is a specimen of permanently "captured lightning" inside clear acrylic (Plexiglas). These particular figures were created by using a 5 MeV particle accelerator to trap a layer of excess electrical charge within the specimens. Before manually discharging, the internal space charge layer reached an estimated potential of ~1.6 million volts.

The lightning-like discharge causes permanent fracturing, creating a "fossilized" record of its passing. And, because the branching fractal patterns consist of chains of microscopic fractures, they readily capture and reflect ambient light. Applying external light from a string of LED's makes the discharge glow brightly from within. More information about these beautiful objects of scientific art can be found here:
http://205.243.100.155/frames/lichtenbergs.html

The two specimens will be similar to the one pictured here:
http://205.243.100.155/photos/For_Sale/June04/4x6Panel/center1a.jpg

Please submit your bids to the Teslamania message board:
http://members.boardhost.com/tesla/msg/1948.html

Thanks in advance and good luck on the bidding!

Bert

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Chip Atkinson <chip@xxxxxxxxxx>
Greetings all,

Thank you very much to all who have donated to the list.  It will really
help keep it running.  I think I've settled on a machine -- A Dell Power
Edge 1800, near the base level.  It's about $1400, which is a little more
than we've raised so far.
Right now we are at $1155.59, which is a really good showing and a strong
indication of how people love the list.
I would like to ask people who have not yet contributed to see if they can
spare a little bit for the list.  Like I said earlier, this is not a
common occurrence, but is about the third time in 10 years that the list
has been operational.  If you can contribute, you can use either pay pal
or send check, money order, or even cash (but at minimum put it between
layers of thick paper to keep prying eyes away).  Here's my information:
PayPal:
chip@xxxxxxxxxx
Check/Money order:
William W. Atkinson