Re: materials of electroddes for Neon gas tubes..

Hi Ed,

Hey!  It's been 30 years since ;-))

But yes... It did get hot, but I fixed it somehow... I think the motor "start" windings were still being engaged.... Be sure to hook it up just like it was originally in the fridge... It only needs the higher resistance "run" windings once it is started. I had a bunch of switches and stiff to do it manually. It would all go up in smoke now and then :D

There were three terminals... Common, start, and run... Ohm them out... The start winding was very low resistance. It needed a motor start cap in there somehow too to get it going...

They do use the refrigeration fluid to carry heat out of the pump... But it should not be "too" bad when doing a vacuum...

I would just use mineral oil or real vacuum pump oil in it. Car stores also sell air conditioner oil. Don't use automatic transmission fluid like I did unless you want to learn to love that smell ;-)) Mike a little oil catcher filter out of foam rubber if it smokes oil vapor out the back...

Cheers,

        Terry