Re: first time builder questions, help please

Hi Michael,

At 03:31 PM 10/10/2005, you wrote:
hello, my name is Michael and I'm starting to build a tesla coil for my senior high school project. I wanted to model my tesla coil after the one shown here http://www.tb3.com/tesla/smallcoil/smallcoil.html
however I had a few questions i was hopping you guys could answer first.
1: the toroid shown is a spun al 3.2" x 1.1" with a needle point. I want to be able to put the spinning toy on top and have it spin like shown on terry's site because I think it will impress the panel and looked pretty cool. the question is does anyone know where to get one. I found a spun copper 3.2" x 1.1" without a needle point for sale. could i make my own needle point with a boil or nail? any help on this toroid issue would be greatly appreciated.

The toroid is not critical at all. A plastic donut roughly the same size covered with aluminum foil will do fine. Auto parts stores sell heat riser duct which is flexible aluminum corregated pipe that can be bent to a donut too. Just a little rounded aluminum pan bottom would work fine too.

A nail sharpened with a file will do fine for the point.

the next question I had was why is a copper tube static spark gap used instead of a rotary gap, I'm still a little confused on when to use which.

The pipe gape is just a real simple and easy way to make a gap. It is not the "best", but it works fine here.

Also, anyone know a web site with instructions to make a copper tube static gap if they are better than rotary or other static gaps for this coil.

Maybe this one:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/terrygap.jpg

Cheers,

        Terry

thanks a million guys all the help is much appreciated.