Re: Is perspex suitable material for former of secondary of a Tesla coil?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

is the Perspex tube I have suitable?
Also is Grade 2 ECW Suitable?

"Perspex" and "Grade 2 ECW" probably won't mean much to readers outside the UK.

I have a coil wound on a clear acrylic tube and it has always worked fine with up to 4ft sparks from a 18 inch winding length.

As for "Grade 2" "Magnet wire", the grades are defined in some British standard or other, BS6811 I think. There are three grades, the higher grade number means thicker enamel with a higher voltage rating. I guess Grade 3 is the equivalent of what the Americans call "Heavy build".

I think most of my coils are wound with the Grade 1 stuff which is the thinnest poorest insulation you can get. It was just whatever RS or Maplin had on sale. Even so they have failed by tracking down the inside of the former before anything bad happened between turns. So I'd think Grade 2 would be fine.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/