Re[4]: MMC

Original poster: Illicium Verum <sebas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Langer,

A 9KV transformer has a peak voltage of 12727.9 Volt. If you decide to make a primary capacitor to withstand a voltage of 15000V you would have to place 15 capacitors from 1KV in series. The primary capacitance not only depends on the main frequency in your country (in Canada this might be 60Hz) but also the type of spark gap. A rotary spark gap requires a different capacitance than a static spark gap.

Your transformer requires on a 110V 60Hz system a minimum resonance capacity of 8.84nF or damage to your transformer might occur.

The LTR capacitance for a static gap is 13.26nF and for a rotary gap 24.75nF (assuming you work with 60Hz).

You ask me how many strings you need. This depends on your capacitor's rated peak current, the speed in Vµs and the voltage you charge them with. If you can get them cheap, you might want to decide to build 5 strings.

Lets evaluate: 15KV capacitor, LTR capacitance 13.26nF, your capacitors are rated at 47nF 1KV (assuming you are going to build a static spark gap and have a main frequency of 60Hz).

The results:

If 47nF is your only option, you could place 17 in series to get a 17KV 13.82nF capacitor (assuming you build 5 strings)

Or 18 in series to get a 18KV 13.05nF capacitor (assuming you build 5 strings)

I hope this helped?

Best regards,

Sebas.