Re: capacitors

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 10/15/05 8:11:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "The Engine Centre" <jetmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all, i bought some capacitors, made by Custom electronics, part no
cer3a476sp, they look like a big" block of chocolate" about 8"X3"X1"
Thick, they are .05 mfd 12000vdc, Are they ok for TC work???
Regards Paul.

Hi Paul,

I went to their website, <http://www.customelec.com/sitemap.asp>http://www.customelec.com/sitemap.asp, but there is very little specific data. It seems these are epoxy encapsulated and made with "reconstituted mica paper". Usually, mica caps are not good for Tesla work because they tend to overheat (power dissipation factor >1%) and the dielectric is brittle and not self healing. This process, which makes a flexible paper out of mica platelets may be different. Still, I would be careful; you might want to try some sort of thermal cut-out switch. Any cap will work for a little while, some much littler than others. ;-)

Hope this helps a bit.

Matt D.