Re: OL-DRSSTC - 12

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

This is why "real" DRSSTCs use BIG low ESR/ESL electrolytics... well at least mine do :-). I believe that the energy storage caps should store maybe 50X the bang energy if possible... that way if an IGBT does fail, you get a nice BANG! Of course, a "real" DRSSTC is not a simple as this machine you've been developing. There is always a compromise to be made. I will be interested to see what sort of performance you can get from this machine... its a very neat little design, and hopefully it will introduce more people to solid state coiling.

Ive been meaning to ask, how warm are those gate zeners getting? They are certainly clipping quite a bit of power, but i suppose the low duty cycle saves them from bursting into flames :-).

Steve

On 10/15/05, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <<mailto:dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <<mailto:vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >

> Hi All,

> Today I tracked down the voltage droop problem.

> When the IGBTs turn on, the voltage across the caps drops to the 10
> volt IGBT rail.  The electrolytics contribute NO real current to the
> oscillation!!!

and if they should do it? :-)
could you give such parameters of your electrolytics like esr & esl,
and their Fres?