Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Hi Ken,

At 04:34 PM 10/15/2005, you wrote:
Take a look at
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_TCH5.jpg
and
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/KCH_TCH5A.jpg
"5" is a new photo like the "4" I previously posted while "5A" is waveforms from a simulation I just ran of a basic IGBT H-bridge driving the 15 uH/400 nF load that I have in the hardware. In 5, the top waveform represents primary current in my hardware & the bottom represents the H-bridge's power-supply current. In 5A, the green waveform represents the load (i.e. primary) current & the blue waveform represents the supply current.

Hardware & simulation show essentially the same waveforms

Always a "good" thing :-)))

, except, in the hardware, for a) the fuzz at switching-times,

Probably due to "tiny" inductances ringing up with capacitances. Not a big deal unless they get really big. Many bypass caps and even ferrites can fix it if needed. Over time, with big "short" busses and many big low-Z bypass caps, mine have sort of vanished. But you can still see ringing for sure!!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-2005-10-15-002.gif

If your scope or probe has a bandwidth limit button on it, just push it, and be happy :o))

b) an offset from the zero line

You should track that one down for sure! Could be a bad FET or something. Could be just a scope probe offset too... But IMHO DC offsets need to be figured out for sure!! If your scope is on AC coupling, it might be the coupling cap in the scope charging... It is probably a silly thing like that.

However, I did have a big DC offset on a number of occasions in life and when the circuit was put under full power it blew the crap out of everything!!

and c) the "squiggle" in the power-supply current about 1 us after the switching times.

Interesting...what's the squiggle, I wonder?

Could it be not enough super low resistance bypass caps. Here is my circuit when I took out the poly bypass caps but had 20 x 22uF HF electrolytics in line (ignore the white in the background):

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-2005-10-14-002.gif

The blue line is the buss voltage...  =:O    Now THAT is a squiggle!!!

Cheers,

        Terry

KCH