Re: Recent s.s.t.c work

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If anyone has some ideas as to how to maintain zero-current switching
in a simple feedback-system, I'd like to hear them!

I explored a whole bunch of different ideas, but I kept coming back to the PLL. It doesn't give perfect zero current switching under all conditions but it gets close most of the time.

Whether it gets closer on average than a simple feedback driver does, under normal DRSSTC duty, is still an open question. But the new PLL driver has had a good track record so far and I have enough confidence in it now that I can think about turning it loose on some big IGBT bricks.

The reasons why I stuck with the PLL:

It seems more resistant to noise than an ordinary feedback system. It can reject feedback signals that would make an ordinary driver gallop off at crazy frequencies. This is a double edged sword however as it also makes it slower to respond to sudden changes in the resonator such as a ground arc. A plain feedback driver tracks these instantly, but the PLL takes a couple of cycles to catch up.

It allows you to add as much deadtime as you like for slow IGBTs, while maintaining ZCS (it can "look into the future" to compensate for the deadtime)

It lets you access an extra tuning that plain feedback drivers with primary current feedback can't use. I thought this was just a gimmick at first but I found that I get the biggest sparks from this tuning.

I thought that these advantages were enough to make up for the extra complexity and somewhat fiddly tune-up procedure. My driver has five pots to twiddle and the other Steve's had just one adjustment last time I looked.

BTW- I think I might have signed up for that "Scientists Called Steve" thing already? I'd better check.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/