Re: primary coil??

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tubing is actually better on most TC's. The center of solid wire just adds weight and cost since for the most part it's not used because of skin effect.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: primary coil??

Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

hey does the primary coil have to be solid copper? or can you buy copper tubing where the walls are only about 1/8 or 1/16 inch thick? Thanks

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lil help please
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 06:05:28 -0600

Hi Jimbo,

Use 1/4 inch refrigerator tubing that is already coiled. Make 8 supports for the copper tubing where the holes for the tubing are drilled on appropriate centers thru the support material and then the support is cut thru the holes slightly off center so the resulting hole looks like a "C". The tubing then snaps into place as you unwind the original coil. Expand the original coil as you go and snap into place only enough to match the curvature of the mounted supports. Here is a picture of my primary coil for a 2KW power source to give you an idea.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds/15KV_120ma_SRSG/tc18_primary_coil.jpg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/temp/GerryReynolds/15KV_120ma_SRSG/tc19_primary_coil.jpg

The material I used was HDPE. I would determine ahead of time how many turns you need using one of the online tools such as JAVATC and then plan on having maybe 4-5 extra turns. I have 20 turns on my primary which makes it fairly big, but I can add more topload and have the extra turns to retune.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Jimbo07031982@xxxxxxx
i am getting ready to build my 2nd t.c and was wondering what is the best way to form a primary coil (the first one i every built was just literally thrown together the primary was formed by hand and looked like crap turned out it was crap too) is there any tools that would help in the forming of this to make a nice uniform coil and what would be the best thing ti use (the first one i built i used 3/8 inch copper tubing should i go bigger or smaller) i do have some electronics background but not much and i am horrible at math because of this i am having some trouble designing and building a good coil (if there is anyone willing to help through this step by step please let me know of list at <mailto:jimbo07031982@xxxxxxx>jimbo07031982@xxxxxxx) Also I hope to be in FL for the 2005 teslathon I am moving down just as soon as I finish taking care of some things up here in Ohio. Hopefully I can get some good pointer's and idea's if I am able to make. thanks a bunch. JIMBO

p.s I will be using a 6kv 30 ma nst to power the whole thing and have 6 400pf 30kv caps in parallel and are ceramic doorknob style I do have a variac that I use that goes up to 140v ac.
also the first coil i built i connected the primary and secendary coils together would this cause a lose in performance and i did not seal the ends of the sec, coil at all like i said i just threw the thing together to see if a could get something to work altogether i think i spent $50 building the whole thing besides the obvious flaws with the sec. what can i do to get spark's bigger then 4-6 inch long seeing as that is the biggest i was able to get.(do i need more v or is what i have sufficent i am aiming to get at least 20-24 inch sparks out of my next coil