Re: Mike Marcum Ferrite Cores

Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx

>For a single-ended forward converter which delivers power to the
>load during switch conduction time, the core only gets magnetized in
>one direction. Since you cannnot deliver power for 100% of a cycle
>with this type of converter (the core has to recover - fall back to
>near zero magnetism while the switch is off), some of the time is
>effectively wasted.

Hi Malcolm

A forward converter is about the closest thing to
what I'm doing and I bet the same rules will
apply to. I'll do a sketch of this thing and
post it in a few days, hopefully.

>The main dependency >for a given core involves copper losses - i.e. the size of the >winding window limits the amount of copper you can fit in there and >the minimum inductances you can get away with - as in fewer turns - >determines the maximum wire gauge.

Good point, and I've been pondering this too.
Just how big should the holes in the core be?
But if I mess this up and cast them too small
I can always drill them out a little.

---- Matt Cortner ----