Re: Tesla Receiver Coil ..........success?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> You have failed to consider one very important
> practical application,
> namely wireless telecommunications.

I can tell you right now that Hertzian antennas work
better than Tesla coils for telecoms, too.

To give an example: I strung up a 33ft half wave
dipole in my apartment last week. Using this, I was
able to receive at least S5 signals on 14MHz from
radio hams in Italy, Germany, and Iceland, at my
location in the UK. As the day went on and the sun
rose over the USA, I could get weaker, but still
copiable, signals from as far afield as North Dakota.

Then I tried transmitting 100 watts into the same
antenna and got a S5 signal report from a ham in
Frankfurt.

I would be very surprised if you could do that using a
Tesla coil as an antenna. I believe the bouncing of
short waves off the ionosphere, which is what allows
the path lengths I quoted above, is the nearest anyone
can get to Tesla's "resonating the earth". But it
doesn't work at Tesla coil frequencies.

Before anyone freaks out at me for illegal
transmitting, I have had a ham licence for around 10
years. I got into Tesla coiling through ham radio, and
recently I got back into radio through coiling. ;-)

Steve Conner