Re: 3600watts 6in Tc first light

Hi Nolan,

You wrote:

Yea i came by your web page a few days ago but forgot to boolmark it. Nice setup though. hey I got one of those 45amp variacs you have off of eBay. those are some crazy streamers, how long of strikes were you getting? and at what power level?
Peace,
Nolan Moore

Well, actually, the variacs are each rated at 28 amps, so when the
2 are paralleled, that comes up to a 56 amp total. As far as streamer
length and power levels go, I was so busy trying to get pictures that
night that I didn't think to look at the panel meters to figure the po-
wer draw. I didn't actually document the longest spark length by measuring linear point/point spark paths but the top of the toroid
is nearly 8 ft. high (actually 93" to 94") since I can barely store the coil with the toroid in place inside of my garage with its standard
8 ft ceilings. So, just from observing my pics, I believe that I can safe-
ly say that the coil is throwing ground striking power arcs in excess
of 10 ft.
My power supply and ballasting is (2) paralleled 28 amp, 240/0-280
volt 1256D Powerstat variacs and the ballasting is provided by the
transformer/inductor removed from a Lincoln 225 amp arc welder.
The 240 volt input leads to the arc welder are seriesed with the 0-280
volt input to the pig and the 225 amp and 200 amp output leads are shorted together. I turned the variacs nearly all the way up to around
90 to 95 on the 0-100 dial when I shot the pics.
David Rieben