Re: Lightning Gun To Combat Terrorists - WHERE IS THE RETURN PATH???

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

Hello Stork,

Your example is irrelevant. As has been pointed out before, EM (Hertzian) WAVES do not require a return path. However, electrical discharge (current flow through ionized air) Does require one. The only weapon that uses EM Waves is the military's new riot control Microwave projector gun which "non-lethally" boils the water out of a protester's eyeballs.
Not every patented weapon is worth producing. In the Jan. 1968 issue of Science & Mechanics magazine there was reference to an acoustic cannon developed by Vladimir Gavreau (French patents Nos. 437,460 and 131,551) which could "emulsify living tissue" at a range of 5 miles. It never went into production as "ricochet" was major problem.
Likewise several saucer-shaped airplanes of the 1930s and 40s, and the "Spruce Goose". Many things are invented that have no real commercial/military value.

Matt D.