RE: Spark Gap Design

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Dirk:

Getting the segments mounted and aligned within the PVC pipe is in fact
less straightforward than one might assume, but you just have to count
on plenty of slop in the holes to accommodate alignment adjustments.
Once everything is aligned, leave it that way.  Gap width adjustment is
made by varying the number of gap segments used, and not trying to vary
the separations.

A more interesting and unresolved question is whether a multi-segment
gap is better than a single gap.  Quenching is better with multi-gaps,
but losses are also higher.  Forced airflow through the gap(s) is
slightly less vital with multi-gaps, but it's easy to do regardless.
Adjustments to a multi-gap with many segments is easy, by varying the
number of segments used.  But a single gap that may be varied in
separation is also not difficult to build.

For small mini-coils, I use a simple 2-pipe cylinder gap, with a small
fan blowing on it.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm.  For
higher powered NST coils, I still prefer a single gap for low losses and
ease of adjustment, but more aggressive airflow is vital.  See my sucker
gap at http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm.

Regards, Gary